Saturday, February 7, 2009

On Wednesday, January 28 my dad went in for surgery for colon cancer in the Brigham City Hospital. Surgery went well. It took about 5 1/2 hours. The doctors felt that they got all the cancer and the tumor was smaller than they expected. That was great news to our family. The day after the surgery all seemed well and we thought he was on his way to recovery. What little did we know. On Friday, he didn't seem just right. He was a little delusional and he sounded like he was getting sick. I went to see him that night and he knew who I was but really couldn't hold much of a conversation. I thought that it must be the pain medicine that they were giving him that was making him loopy. On Saturday, January 31 my mom received a phone call from the doctor at 4:00 a.m. He told her that they were going to transport him to Ogden Regional.

My mom and I arrived at the hospital and the doctor told us all that was going on with him. He was admitted in the critical care unit. He had suffered a slight heart attack, he had double pneumonia, his kidneys were failing and he was septic. The news really took us for a loop. That day was a long one for all of us. Dad still was not in his right mind and wouldn't relax and rest. Mom and I went home for the night.


Sunday February 1 mom and I arrived at the hospital to find that dad had been sedated and put on a ventilator. That was hard for me to see him like that but knew it was what he needed to he could rest and heal. The nurse told us about the eventful morning that they had had with dad. His hands were tied to the bed to keep him from pulling things out so he would wrap his feet around cords, wires and anything he could get and pull them to his hands. He was bound and determined that he was going to breakfast. The nurses found his sitting us in the bed (hands still tied) with both legs off the bed on one side. He wanted breakfast and was very agitated. That's when they decided to sedate him and put him on a ventilator.

Monday, February 2 was pretty calm. Mom and Uncle Reese was able to watch the doctors put a camera down his throat and into his lungs. They were checking to make sure it was pneumonia, which it was. His kidneys weren't working like they were supposed to so they decided to do a kidney dialysis.

Tuesday, February 3 was very quiet. Dad had many visitors of family and friends who were concerned about him. They phone calls were many also.

Wednesday, February 4 was much of the same. I did not go to the hospital that day. My brother Darrin was with my mom. The doctors said he seemed to be doing a little better.

Thursday, February 5 was also much of the same. However they said that they would probably take him off the ventilator in the next day or so.

Friday, February 6 was a good day. His ventilator came out and they woke him up. He thought he was in Brigham City still. He did recognize us and we thought he looked good. They did a kidney dialysis. I think this was his third. His kidneys are still not working correctly. He had progressed but we have been told that he has a long road ahead of him. Tiny baby steps is what the doctors and nurses say.

Saturday, February 7. Dad seemed very tired today. The nurses said that they woke him up about every hour or so during the night to do who knows what. The physical therapist came in and worked with him and he didn't even wake up. Cheyanne, Aubrey and I went to see him today. Of course Aubrey couldn't go back to his room but she was happy to see grandma and climb on her. I think she has missed her. Dad knew who we were and he asked Cheyanne if she had volleyball today and asked how many calves we had. We have started calving and we are up to four. He kept dozing in and out. He asked me "Who is that character over there?" I couldn't see anyone. He seemed a little out of it. Baby steps we have to remember baby steps. I hope he doesn't get discouraged. Oh, the results from the colon cancer came back and all is well there. It has not spread. Great news!!!

Saturday, February 7. Dad seemed really tired today. His breathing is good and he is doing well with his breathing treatments. He recognized Cheyanne and I and he asked Cheyanne if she had volleyball today. Aubrey came to the hospital too. But she couldn't see him. I think she was glad to see grandma though. Reese, Boyd & Ranea, Marla, and John Noyes came to see him while I was there. He has had many visitors over the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment